To be successful you need to be a Leader therefore identifying these qualities and developing any areas where you feel you are weak. In the last post I identified the first eight of these qualities. Below are 17 qualities Leverage is simply the term for being able to get income from work done by others.
LEADERSHIP IN WORK FROM HOME CAREERS
In 1985 Wess Roberts Ph.D. wrote a management classic Leadership Secrets of Attila The Hun, which became a New York Times Best Seller.
He uses the documented life of Attila The Hun as an allegory for the secret to Leadership. In a work from home company the idea of ‘leverage’ is key. Leverage is what makes a business a business as opposed to being self-employed. Leverage is an income stream that is based on the work of others and which would continue even if you personally stopped work. To do this you need to have systems and leadership.
Wess Roberts identified 17 qualities that are required in all true Leaders:
- Loyalty – Loyalty comes first because this is what will foster trust in your business associates. There is a distinction between disloyalty and disagreement. Disagreement based on what someone believes is best for the team should be listened to. Disloyalty is disruptive and needs to be dealt with as quickly as possible.
- Courage – This quality is needed for a Leader to continue in the face of any challenges. It also means you must be able to excel in times of difficulty and times of prosperity.
- Desire – All writers on success agree desire is key to success. The same goes for Leadership. You need a strong desire to influencing people and outcomes. You are in the business of influencing people to become business associates, if they fail to detect desire in you it is unlikely they will follow you.
- Emotional Stamina – This is the ability to recover from disappointment, having a clear perspective and the emotional strength to persist in the face of difficulty.
- Physical Stamina – This is about being as fit as you can be as opposed to some ideal of what a body should look like. For example I as a disabled entrepreneur will never be able to use all the equipment in a gym and at times I am unable to exercise. However I do exercise on a daily basis in some form.
- Empathy – This is the ability to see a situation from another person’s perspective. Empathy should never be confused with sympathy.
- Decisiveness – All Leaders have to be able to make decisions quickly if needed by weighing all the facts and deciding on a course of action.
- Anticipation – This is learning by observation and experience. It is what enables you to decide the level of risk you should take.
- Timing – This is a crucial Leadership skill, knowing when to act and when not to act. There is no formula for this, this can only be gained through failure. This is why it the top people in work from home careers say they ‘fail their way to the top’.
- Competitiveness – All Leaders must have an intrinsic desire to win. This means winning the important battles as opposed to winning at all costs.
- Accountability – This means accepting responsibility for all failures and successes that occur on ‘your watch’ and avoiding blaming others and external circumstances.
- Self-confidence – This is achieved by being in a business opportunity that trains and supports you to meet the challenges you will face.
- Responsibility – Leadership is about seeing that things which need to be done are done. This is as opposed to getting involved in the detailed running of an associate’s business. You only direct them to resources and support them in their use.
- Credibility – This is about having the intelligence to know where to go for information and advice and be able to pass that information on to others.
- Tenacity – True Leaders persist even through disappointment, deception and even people leaving you. Persistence will see you through to the completion of the most difficult challenges.
- Dependability – Leaders have to be depended upon to do the right thing in all situations. This has a strong link to business ethics.
- Stewardship – This is a caretaker like quality where you encourage others to develop leadership qualities. Once you have enough competent Leaders in your business then you can really reap the benefits of your labor.